Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Little Town Called Eijsden

Last weekend my parents-in-law suggested that we should have a drink after dinner in this little town called Eijsden. Eijsden is a cosy and close-community town in the southern part of Limburg province in the Netherlands. I've not been there myself and I was curious. We took a short drive to Eijsden via the fields. With good spring weather, the sun does not set until 9pm or so hence we still had plenty of sun even at 8pm :) The cafe that we parked ourselves for our nightcap was a very nice and cosy place overlooking the river. We sat by the terrace enjoying the nice view and good company of each other. Trust my dear parents-in-law to know the best cafes around here as they did their cycling around this neighbourhood. One can even catch a glimpse of Belgium on the other side of the river. After a nice 'gezellig' (cosy) drink, my father-in-law mentioned that there is a nice castle around this neighbourhood and that peaked my interest. I love castles! I'd seen many when we were in Loire Valley, south of France last year :)

We make a slight detour and head to Eijsden Castle. Though the castle itself is not very big, the castle has a bailey and a big garden. Eijsden castle is L-shaped and was built in Maasland-Renaissance style. It is now a private residence of a noble Belgium family.

No comments:

Post a Comment