Friday, June 12, 2009

The Cubic House in Rotterdam becomes Newest hotel?

When I first saw the 'kubuswoning' (cubic house), I thought it was such an unusual piece of work. The cubic house is one of the must-see atraction in Rotterdam. It is designed by a local architect Piet Blom, best known for his cubic house designs. I've only been inside the cubic house once when one of my girlfriend came for a visit last year. It was quite an experience though the first thing that hit me when I stepped inside the house was I felt a bit disoriented and dizzy. The whole interior is small and space has to be maximised to accommodate the unique angled structure.

The cubes are tilted and sit on hexagon-shaped pole structures. The cubes contain 3 living areas. The triangle-shaped lower level contains the living room, the windows on this level open onto the view below due to the slope of the tilted cube. The middle level contains the bedrooms and a bathroom while the top level, also in a triangular shape is used as either an extra bedroom or a living space. I must say the top level provides a great view since the apex of the room is a 3-sided pyramid with windows all around.

Recently some of these houses have been converted into hotel accommodation including a restaurant and a meeting room.....hmmmm. It's definitely a novelty to be able to experience in staying in the cubic house.

No comments:

Post a Comment