Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bilingual Public Transport System?

Wow I can't believe it when I read this article today, "Amsterdam seeks bilingual public transport - Public transport information and announcements should be provided in both Dutch and English, says the city’s economic affairs alderman. This is especially to provide a better service for foreign visitors.

Finally! I totally agree with this! Not only for tourists but also for people like me who has not master the language. On top of that, what about for those who has just moved to the Netherlands - they are the ones who are in need of this bilingual public transport system to be affected. I'd my first-hand experience with the Dutch public transport when I first came here. It was a pure stressful event in my first few trips on the train. In all train stations in the Netherlands except for those who are boarding international trains, everything will be in Dutch including the announcements. Bear in mind, announcements are an important source of information for any change in the train schedule/platforms so for those who has not a firm grasp of the language, you'll be left standing there looking dumbfounded and confused to the core (by the way, when you are in need to look for the train platform attendants for assistance, you can't seem to find them) :P

I really hope this plan will go through for the sake of 'aliens' out there and the many foreign visitors that do not understand the Dutch language ;) All in all, the Netherlands is indeed a beautiful country :)

No comments:

Post a Comment