Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fried Bananas in the Netherlands

When I first saw the 'gebakken banaan met pindasaus' (fried bananas with peanut/satay sauce, pisang goreng in Malay language) in the Netherlands, my first thought was fried bananas with peanut aka satay sauce! No thank you and my mind just automatically rejected it.

This snack comes from the Suriname (Surinam) cooking. In the Netherlands, Surinam cuisine is very popular among the locals. It's a blend of Indonesian, Chinese, Indian, African and a bit of Creoles, Jews.

My Hubs loved it! He always order the 'gebakken banaan' as an appetizer whenever we have lunch in this cafe next to the Jumbo supermarket (where we do our weekly groceries). Don't get me wrong, I do like some of the Surinam dishes but fried bananas with satay sauce, I have to draw a line there :P


No comments:

Post a Comment