Monday, May 4, 2009

My Love-Hate Relationship with The Language

The first lesson I'd was back in my hometown where I'd to do an exam before the Embassy can issue me a visa. Hence, I've took almost 6-7 months of private lessons which doesn't come cheap. Finally, the day came when I was ready to take the exam and I've passed it! The visa came thru and in less than 2 months, I was on the plane to this part of the world!

I thought my encounter with The Language has ended but to my dismay, it was just the beginning. I'd to go thru a society integration course for a period of 12 months and at the end of it to pass the exam. Mind you, The Language is a tough cookie to learn. The grammar was difficult and many times I thought I've finally grasped it and then *bang* more exceptions have been added to the rule yet again. Do you know, the pronunciation of the 'g' sounded like I'd had something stuck in my throat. Unfortunately living here = have to learn to speak The Language.

Of course there are times, I felt motivated & ready to take up the challenge of The Language. However, the feeling always lasted only for awhile before the 'hate' emotion came up. The resentment and the question of why do I have to do this keeps on popping into my head *sigh*.

No matter what, I still have to face the fact that I need The Language to survive in this country & to be accepted as an equal. Almost forgotten but I do have an assessment exam to go for and am still waiting for my letter to arrive from the authority for my date.....


No comments:

Post a Comment