Friday, May 29, 2009

Jaya Supermarket Collapsed

I woke up this morning and was told by my girlfriend who was online at the moment that the once iconic building/landmark in the suburbs of Petaling Jaya (PJ), Malaysia (Jalan 14/20 or Section 14) has collapsed yesterday evening during a demolition work. I quickly went to the local news online (TheStar) to read what has actually happened.

The first thing I saw on the news heading was: 3 dead and search on for 4. It was a sad tragedy. 9 foreign workers were on the ground floor when the building collapsed right to the basement. 2 very lucky ones were rescued but 3 were dead. The search and rescue team are still frantically looking for the remaining 4 victims that are still buried under the tangle of steel and rubble.

Thank god my girlfriend who is working near the area is not in the vicinity when this tragic incident happened. Business will resume as normal however the traffic will be very bad. The area is always congested even without this tragic incident.

I'd remembered that my friends and I used to hang out a lot in this Jaya Supermarket building, it was the happening place to hang out for schoolers like us after school in the PJ neighbourhood. I've also remembered that Delifrance cafe was first opened in this building and we used to sit there the whole afternoon hanging out. And now remained is just rubble.

Now the authorities are chasing for an explanation on how can a demolition plan gone so wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment