Wednesday, May 20, 2009

When Mr Sun Comes out and Play

After living in the Netherlands for more than 1.5 years, I've learned to appreciate Mr Sun when he decided to come out and play. I used to take it for granted when I was back in Malaysia, being a tropical country, we have the sun throughout the year.

Whenever Mr Sun is out with his glorious beam and sunlight throughout the day, flurry of activities can be seen everywhere in the Netherlands. My first experience happened to be when I was at my parents-in-law's place. Immediate change of atmosphere in the neighbourhood can be seen - people hurriedly took their bicycles out, sound of BBQ pits been taken out from the cellar and you can see smoke in the air where the pits were getting ready for some serious grilling, people changed into their 'summery' clothes, cafe terraces were packed with people having a drink, parks were full with sun-taners or picnickers basking in the sun. It was amazing to see the change so quickly.

And now I understood, with the unpredictable weather and seasons here, Mr Sun's appearance is not here to stay for long periods, more than often, we have long winters and crappy summers. In between, perhaps a tolerable spring and autumn weather. People tend to appreciate so much when Mr Sun is out and that includes me, I'll never take it for granted :P

Conclusion: This year's spring, we were blessed with very good weathers and Mr Sun is definitely out more often than usual. So I hope we'll have a good summer as compared to last year since we had a very long and super cold winter just few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment